Moving into a new home is exciting, but with so many things to do, it can also become overwhelming. Follow this checklist to keep yourself organized and make moving a breeze!
Before the big move:
Size up – Measure dimensions of rooms in new home.
Start purging – Recycle, donate or toss everything you can.
Plan – You need supplies such as boxes, labels, tape, markers and bubble wrap
Pack – Start packing items you don’t need, such as seasonal clothes.
Inventory – Create separate inventory lists of each box as you pack.
Label – Mark each box with new room it should go in.
Store – Purchase a small fire-safe box for safekeeping valuables. Create a separate inventory list of valuables.
Clean – If you can get into your new home before the boxes arrive, do a deep clean.
After the move-in:
Locate your home’s shut-off valves and circuit panel (if not already marked, label the panel).
Test and/or change batteries in smoke detectors for each room.
Check for or buy fire extinguishers for kitchen and garage, at a minimum.
Make quick repairs, such as touching up paint and changing light bulbs and switches.
Set Up your living room couch, sit back, relax and admire your new home.
Remember a home warranty:
With all of the details to track and the work to do when you’re moving, having a home warranty means you don’t have to worry about who to call when a covered appliance or system breaks down after the move.
Easy check-off list for items to change:
- Utilities such as electricity, gas, water
- Services such as cable, satellite and internet
- Change of address and forwarding your mail (good tips available at usps.com/move)
- New billing address (when you have your move-in date, notify credit card companies, banks and any other financial companies of your new address)
- Ditto for updating address for newspapers/magazine subscriptions
- Medical records, if move includes new insurance carriers, hospitals, etc.
- Prescriptions, if move is to new town or state
- Schedule date to change locks/re-key
For more moving resources, click here.Tags: Moving